- IoT device makers stand to lose out on software licensing revenues, warns Gartner
- Money-making IoT causes surge in first-time software vendors
Both articles point to Gartner's research that states, "By 2020 a failure to put in place an LEM (licensing and entitlement management) system will result in a 20% drop in potential revenue generated from software for device manufacturers connecting to the IoT."
Steve Schmidt, VP of Corporate Development at Flexera Software told CBR: "Hardware manufacturers increasingly have little choice but to move away from inactive objects and transform their products into Internet-connected, software driven intelligent devices."
Flexera Software recently held a License and Entitlement Management - Using Internet of Things to Create Opportunity webinar featuring Gartner which is available on-demand. The webinar covered the following topics:
- The trends that are shaping the Internet of Things
- The shift from a hardware only company to software plus services
- What you need to know in order to protect your intellectual property
- Should you build or buy a license and entitlement management solution?
Internet of Things monetization use cases and success stories
Laurie Wurster, Gartner Research Director
Randy Littleson, Sr. VP of Marketing, Flexera Software