By Ann Reist
As I reflect back on SoftSummit 2011, the conference dedicated to addressing software licensing and entitlement management topics and trends, one of the highlights of the conference for me was the keynote address from Chris Gahagan, SVP of Products & Solutions for Avid.
Chris shared his journey of creating "One Avid." His story, not unlike most software vendors and intelligent device manufacturers that serve multiple market segments, began with the idea of the value that unified licensing could bring to his organization. Chris shared this insight, "One licensing approach does not work for Avid's significantly varied users and market segments……however, a Unified Licensing Framework will."
During his presentation he shared why "unified licensing" mattered. And for Avid, what that boiled down to was—it is all about the customer and improving the customer experience.
Chris outlined Avid's licensing framework requirements and from there he took us through his journey of creating a Unified Licensing Framework, including: Getting Started, Getting Smart, Getting Validation, Getting Committed, Getting Busy and finally Going Live.
He wrapped up the presentation with the following takeaways and thoughts:
- Requires real executive directive and on-going attention
- Significant effort far beyond my product organization
- Significant time required as lots of stuff needs to change
- Product owners will never choose to do this on their own
- Insights into the business have been invaluable
- Benefits are being realized already
- Need to have a strong, fearless, persistent, committed PM
- Yes, we would do it again!
Next time…more reflections and takeaways from sessions at SoftSummit.