By Todd Dalke
While working on licensing and entitlement management projects with our customers who produce intelligent devices, I’ve heard a lot of needs related to helping monetize their offerings. But increasingly, I’ve heard them voice needs about being more tightly connected to their installed base and to receive timely and accurate data from devices in their customers’ hands.
Here are some examples of messages producers wish they could receive from their devices:
- I’ve got 17 error logs to tell you about
- My hard drive is about to fail
- I’ve been loaded with an incompatible driver
- I’m still running an old, buggy version of software
- It’s been 2 years since I was last serviced
- I’m being used in a unlicensed geography
- I’m being used by a unlicensed customer
- I’m connected to the competition’s management software
- I’m tied to 50% more connections than I’m designed to be
- I’m hardly using my most valuable, new features
This is valuable information—for support, for sales and for product management. The sooner the right audience receives it, the better. It could help increase customer satisfaction by enabling support to take proactive steps to troubleshoot or replace devices. It could help increase revenue by collecting detailed usage data. It could help increase market share by exposing surprising implementation statistics.
Many device manufactures don’t realize that a robust, industry standard licensing, entitlement management and software delivery / update solution establishes a connection to their installed base. That connection can be leveraged to feed back all kinds of valuable data for the manufacturer.
Give your device a voice. Investigate what you can accomplish with a system that’s capable of providing this kind of valuable data.
FlexNet Connect Device Viewer