Today’s leading application producers understand that to maximize software revenues and increase customer satisfaction they need a world-class software monetization strategy, but it doesn’t happen overnight. There are many steps and business processes along the way that need to be considered, including:
- Are all of our applications licensed, protected and monetized?
- Are we using standard licensing, entitlement management and delivery / update technology?
- Is our infrastructure optimized for growth and scalability?
- Have we enabled customer self-serviceability and empowerment?
To help address the above questions and more, Flexera Software has created a Software Monetization Maturity Model (“Model”). The Model covers the 4 key software monetization business process areas (Licensing & Security, Entitlement Management, Delivery & Updates, In-Product Analytics) and the 4 associated levels of maturity for each process (Reactive, Enabled, Automated, Optimized).
This post focuses on the “Entitlement Management” process and the corresponding outcomes by maturity level:
The Entitlement Management process is crucial to how producers manage what customers have access to what products. Producers have historically struggled with having visibility into what customers are actually using. Entitlement management provides producers with a clear understanding of what customers have access to, for how long (the term) and visibility into what they’re actually using.
- Reactive: Entitlement Management at the “reactive” level is managed minimally if at all with spreadsheets or other manual tracking tools. Read more
- Enabled: Entitlement Management at the “enabled” level is partially automated. The producer has some ability to manage entitlement rights with limited customer views and self-service. Read more
- Automated: Entitlement Management at the “automated” level enables automated management of entitlement rights with bi-directional ecosystem (ERP, CRM, CPQ, SAM) integration and support, license lifecycle policy management and enforcement. Read more
- Optimized: Entitlement Management at the “optimized” level empowers producers to scale quickly to enable value-added services, including: enterprise license agreements, entitlement data analytics, renewal automation and e-commerce/billing operations. Read more
The next post will cover the “Delivery & Updates” process – stay tuned! For more information on the maturity model and how it can help your organization, see our prior posts: